Saturday, March 1, 2014

Revenge 2, by J.J. Knight

*** Edit to my original review: I don't like blogging about average to bad reviews but since I have already posted reviews for the 2 first books, I feel it's my responsibility as a reviewer to let the potential reader know what to expect for the remainder of the series. I have finished the series of 5 volumes. Although I gave 4 star ratings to volumes 1 and 2, it was not the case for volumes 3 - 5, unfortunately. I had really high hopes for this series, as it started off strong but the quality of the writing, character evolution and storyline lacked as the series progressed. It almost felt rushed, as if the author was writing on a deadline to get the books out at a faster rate. I, for one, prefer waiting just a little bit longer in order to have better quality content. As for the main characters, Dylan remained a very interesting character to read about but Jess was harder for me to like. Her character evolved only in the last part of the last book. ***

Synopsis:
Dylan Wolf is more than just a street musician with a body and voice to die for. 
He holds the key to Jess Rivera's future, and her heart. 


Revenge 2 (Revenge, #2)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was looking forward to reading book 2 to better evaluate the quality of the series (most series tend to fizzle out after a strong book 1). I was pleasantly surprised to see that book 2 kept up with the momentum of book 1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Revenge 2". It's a good sequel to the first book. Lots of mysterious twists and turns, a hot and sexy scene that'll make your insides melt, interesting & unexpected character developments. I was entertained the entire time.

Dylan is sexy, twisted, manipulative & a smooth talker. I love his character. I'm curious to see how Jessie's character will evolve because she's very gullible at the moment. I hope that she becomes more confident & learns to stiffen her backbone. Dylan mistreats & manipulates her, her boss takes advantage of her, yet she stays in those situations knowingly. She forgives & forgets easily.

As is the trend in serial novellas, book 1 ended in a cliffhanger & book 2 picks up where book 1 left off & ends with another cliffhanger, where the story takes a drastic turn. I compare this series to H.M. Ward's serials in it's structure, storyline & turn of events. There is slight repetitiveness in the writing (when the author likes an expression, she uses it repeatedly) but the overall quality of the writing is good.

Technical stuff: Book 2 of 5. Ends in a cliffhanger. Told in the first person from Jessie's point of view. Contemporary romance novella with sexually explicit content. It took me 2.5 hours to read this book (I was constantly interrupted during my reading, which slowed me down a bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment